The Ceylon Blue Sapphire is synonymous with bringing great pride and joy to Sri Lankans as it is even worn by the Duchess of Sussex herself. It is also one of the most exquisite stones to ever exist. Aside from our spices, our gems have been one of the most valuable commodities and historically, that was our identity. We are home to some of the most valuable and rare gems in the world as seen with the discovery of two massive clusters of sapphires in the recent past.
While the blue sapphire is definitely a statement piece on its own, rainbow sapphires are definitely forging an unparalleled trend. Representing each hue and shade of the rainbow – VIBGYOR, it is fast becoming a piece of jewelry you would want to own, especially for September borns. They are referred to as Fancy Sapphires and draw their colour from mineral traces present in the stone.
It has also become a symbol for the LGBTQIA+ community signifying ones inner wild and vibrant side while encouraging honesty and openness in life.
These gems are also believed to have healing properties and are said to cure mental illness, rheumatism, colic, alcoholism and kidney diseases.
As a further bonus point, it goes with any outfit so you don’t need to be sitting and sorting through your jewelry looking for that matching piece. Instead a single item of rainbow sapphire jewelry will complement your outfit perfectly. So what are some tips you should be considering?
- When setting the gems the popular go-to is platinum or white gold so as to let the gems shine on their own without diverting attention. Another unique, up and coming setting is black gold which also serves as a contrast against all the colours. These settings tend to complement the rainbow colours as opposed to setting it in gold which may look gaudy at times.
- When wearing a long gown or pantsuit it is best to pair it with a necklace, earrings or a statement ring. Just make sure the sapphires complementing your outfit are right on top.
- In terms of a necklace, one where the pendant is in the shape of an ‘O’ so that all the gems can be seen poignantly would be ideal. Or if you want a longer pendant ensure each coloured gem is vertically arranged in graduating sizes to really draw attention to the neckline.
- The best way to wear earrings would be in small hoops or drops. You can add a touch more of glamour if it is bordered with diamonds to make them really stand out, especially if you are wearing your hair down and want it to shine through.
- When it comes to rings you can either make it an eternity ring or just have the gems on the top part as that would be the most visible at all times. It can be accentuated by borders of white gold (or platinum) or gems or set in simplicity with a minimalistic approach.
- If you are choosing to wear it as a bracelet, then a tennis bracelet is the best option as it is able to showcase each gem and hue in its individuality. Ensure that it is in a delicate setting meaning the gems are of a smaller size and minimum platinum or white gold is used so that the gems are clearly visible.
#rainbowsapphires #vibgyoyr #statementpiece #huesnotonlyblue #sapphireftw