The weather as of late has been nothing short of extremely hot and unbearable and the humidity is just making things that much worse. As a result of this, I understand that dressing up during the day can feel like such a task. Hopefully, with these fashion tips and tricks (some of which you may know, and some of which you may not!), your fashion game is going to feel nothing but light and breezy.
1. Breathable materials like cotton and linen are your best friend. These fabrics cause the least amount of sweating, and you’ll feel cool throughout the day. That being said, stay away from clothes made out of silk, polyester and nylon. They are a huge “NO NO” on sunny days.
2. While most of us are drawn to darker colors when it comes to fashion, pastels and colors on the lighter end of the spectrum (white, beige, light grey) are the wiser choice for daytime summer outfits. Scientifically, lighter colored materials absorb less amount of sun and that should be all the explanation you need to lighten that wardrobe up
3. Looser is cooler. That’s your fashion mantra on a hot day. Opt for looser fits like flowy dresses, shorts, and skirts that create a layer of air between your body and the outfit you have on.
4. This goes without saying but short skirts > pants. However, skirts along can become uncomfortable due to the friction and heat caused when your legs rub together. Shorts underneath your skirt will help. On that note, if you must wear pants, ditch the jeans. Denim is such a heavy fabric, and you can totally do without it in this weather.
5. I speak for everyone when I say this, but one of our biggest fashion insecurities is sweat lines. Sleeveless tops is your go-to answer. In the event that you cannot wear sleeveless fits due to work reasons and what not, buttoned up short sleeves in a cooling material will do the trick
6. Layering will suffocate you to death. If you are looking to dress modestly, your safest course of action would be to dress modest clothes such as a maxi dress, or a long sleeve shirt without having to layer clothing piece over piece. Leave your over coats and inner t-shirts for those days with a little bit of rain.
7. Sunglasses and Sunscreen. A MUST!
8. Unless you’re styling a straw hat, which is THE perfect hot weather accessory, leave your hat at home. Majority of your body heat is lost through the head, and you do not need to be blocking that gateway.
9. The less the better. Keep your jewelry to a minimum. The metal against your skin can become hot and frustrate you further. While we are on the subject of keeping it at a minimum, replace that massive tote bag with a small side bag. Watch your summer outfit go from 1 to 10 on a cuteness scale.
10. While sneakers can make an outfit look chic and trendy, open toe sandals can make all the difference in the world.
Get styling. This heat isn’t going anywhere.