With daytime temperatures in August regularly reaching 30°C in Colombo, accompanied by a guaranteed six hours of sunshine per day, it’s vitally important that you pay attention to protecting your skin. According to statistics, Sri Lanka's UV index ranges from 8 to 12 throughout the year. When the UV index is high, people are at significant risk of sunburn as a result of excessive sun exposure.
Whilst Sri Lankans are no strangers to the heat, the strong sun and high temperatures affect everyone, including visitors to the island who may not be acclimatised to extreme weather conditions. To stay cool, locals advice wearing loose-fitting, lightweight clothing, staying hydrated, and of course, splashing on sunscreen daily — at least SPF 30 or even above on especially hot days. You should also be keeping the top of your head and your face, neck and shoulders protected from the harsh rays of the sun.
Well, woo-hoo! We have some amazing summer hat ideas which will turn heads wherever you go, while at the same time providing the sun protection you need. From wide-brimmed floppy sun hats, retro cotton baseball caps and Panama hats, to visors and trendy polka-dot bucket hats – Hi!! Magazine has you covered!
Sun hats are not only a terrific way to add a splash of colour to your summer outfits, but they also provide some shade to your face, protecting both your skin and your eyes. So pick out your fanciest shades, pile on the sunscreen, and let's hit the road!!
Here are the top 5 summer hats to wear, whether you are going to the beach or relaxing pool-side, taking a cruise on a private yacht, or out for a stroll through the city:
· Bucket hat – If you love the Y2K aesthetic, try out a bucket hat. Yep, the Y2K fashion trend (of the late 1990’s to mid 2000’s) is still going strong, with bucket hats sporting brand logos and slogans, quirky and fun patterns, floral motifs and loud neon colours. Crochet bucket hats are definitely the most popular hat trend of 2022.
· Fedora– Fabulously chic, a Fedora can be worn with a wide range of different outfits. Try matching it with a midi-length sundress for a cool summer look. Hi!! recommends you pick one with a wider brim.
· Classic straw hat – These have a characteristic silhouette, floppy wide brim (ideally at least 3 inches wide), and effortless style. You can also find oversized designs made from raffia, paper braid and other materials which shield you from burning rays. Choose one in neutral hues and a hat that can be rolled up.
· Visor – Get your hands on a two-tone visor and pair it with a prairie or boho midi-dress and chunky sandals – such a comfortable and romantic look.
· Baseball cap – Paired with your highest twisted ponytail, a timeless classic block-colour baseball cap will look great, either with athleisure staples or a tropical print midi dress and flat sandals. Available in a vast range of colours, patterns, and prints, they can be worn anytime and anywhere, no matter what you’re doing. Just be sure to apply extra sunscreen on your ears and the back of your neck!
Stay sun-smart! Remember always to wear a stylish hat to protect yourself from those burning rays!
#hats #skinprotection #buckethat #strawhat #fedora #visor #baseballhat #srilanka #srilankans #sunexposure #sunburn #topsummerhats #sunsmart #fashiontrends #boater